Marketgeometry

Friday, October 12, 2007

Can somebody explain this to me???

While I was recently in Mpls, MN - I received a parking ticket for parking in a Handicap zone with a Handicap person using an expired over a year Handicap Tag.
-
In Minnesota, if you park in a handicap zone without a Handicap Tag, it is a $200 fine. If you park there with an expired tag that has been expired for less than a year, it is a $375 fine. If you park there with one that has been expired for more than a year - it is a $575 fine.
-
My mother is in a wheelchair. It took me two afternoons, a lot of paperwork, and endless waiting to get the fine reduced to $250.
-
Nuts.

2 comments:

Adrian said...

Sorry to hear that you had such a stiff ticket.

My guess is that, because a car with an expired tag is much harder to notice than a car without a tag, the car is both likely to use handicap zones and to not get ticketed. A sort of fraud.

If that's the case, then the older the tag, the more fraudulent violations and so the steeper the fine. It's a real shame that they're sticking to their guns despite the fact that your mother deserves the tag and her only mistake is to let it lapse. That doesn't deserve such a harsh fine.

Denarii said...

Thanks Tyro - I understand. I know they are trying to crack down on people who are no longer Handicap - you can get Temporary Tags for Temporary but the Tag was issued to my mother who is premently Handicap. I believe once that was proven the fine should have been reduced to under the $200 and my mom is in the process of renewing it.