Marketgeometry

Monday, August 13, 2007

Stress 8/13/2007

I find it amazing when I tell someone that I day trade stocks. They nearly every time say "that is too stressful". I ask them if their job is stressful and they say yes. That stress to me is harder to take.
-
Jobs that I have had in the past, I have worked 80, 90, 100 hour weeks. I have on a couple of occasions worked 3 days in a row with out sleep. I have flown to a foreign country overnight and give a presentation with out sleep. I have given presentations in a country at war. I have worked on client sites where VPs have been telling how stupid I am. I have worked on Xmas, Thanksgiving, and all the other holidays.
-
I have worked so much and eaten so much take out food, the food firms would send me the latest menus. I worked once on Xmas when my daughter was visiting and at the age of 20 she came down to my basement office at 9:30 PM and ask "When are we going to open our F-ing presents".
-
I have lived where the first thing I did each day was read email and the last thing I did was read email. I have lived with beepers that would go off at all times of the day. Once I dropped my beeper in the toilet and I dug it out like a Coke addict that just dropped his stash.
-
I have been on vacation far away in the desert, 60 miles outside of Las Vegas. We had not seen a human being in 30 minutes. No buildings anywhere - no sign of human life except for the paved road we are on. Guess what- my cell phone rings and it scares the shit out of me. It is work. They can't find some important file and they ask me hoping I know where it is.
-
This is stress. Stress that never seems to stop. You never get off the cycle until the next vacation but then you spend the entire vacation taking to unwind.
-
Day trading - at times incredible stressful. At times, nearly peaceful. The difference is that at the end of day, all my money is in cash. The day is over and the stress is gone for me on most days. In fact, as crazy as this sounds, I think I will have problems dealing with the lack of stress.
-
The numbers:
Stocks: Gross +27 Net +24 shares traded 600
Stock Futures: none
Forex: none

1 comment:

gary said...

Well put I couldn't put it any better