Marketgeometry

Saturday, May 5, 2007

Finally a decent day - 5/4/2007



Finally a decent day. Not a big day or killer - just a day of solid trading. A day I feel proud of. The first one I have had in a few weeks. My confidence as doing this is a little shaky right now because I can't seem to get out of this rut I am in. I need to be more aggressive, trade bigger lots and act quicker. Too many times I think about a position 30 seconds too long and it is gone. Or I bail way too quickly on a position before it gets a chance to work. I did a much better job of entering positions today quicker and with a little bigger size. I should be trading 1000 to 2000 shares on most trades but I find myself never getting above 200-500 shares. I need to let loose. I have enough money in the account to do it and I do not depend on my trading for a living (yet).
-
I have been having the problem finding trades that our my own. Something I have said before in the past - you must trade your own trades. I do not mind being notified by others of stocks setting up but I try not to jump on a trade just because someone calls one out in the chat room.
-
To combat this problem, I am trying to find a method of trading that generates enough trades for me where I continue to watch the screens. Each night I have my planned trades, but so many times those trades are done or don't work by 9:45 and so I am left with what now. I don't use Trade-Ideas (thinking about it) and my own methods of scanning for trades is lacking. So I have found a section - Steels - that have caught my eye. Two of my favorite stocks in that sector are AKS and NUE. Both of them I am trying to learn how they trade. The others are RS, X, RIO, CMC, GNA and GGB. Mainly I want a stock that trades a million plus per day.
-
The trading plan for sector trading -

  1. The general market needs to be up or going up or flat.

  2. The sector needs to show some life.

  3. Leading stocks in sector needs to be showing some strength.
  4. Buy pull backs using the Slow Stochastic (5,3) if above conditions are meant and you get a bar or two of sideways action.

  5. Add to position on additional signals if low of first signal is not broken or using any standard chart pattern methods (breaking of a trend line - etc.)

This is the game plan. We will see how successful I am pulling it off. I used this method three times today. I caught the pullback in AKS at 9:45 and 10:15 and NUE at 9:45. I should have caught both of them at about 12:30 when the steels stabilized, and the Stochastic signaled and the downward trend line was broken but I was at lunch.

-

The numbers - Gross +450, Net +407, shares traded 8600 (charts added Sunday night)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My trading plan is similar to yours but with an added condition of resumption of trend.

1. Market moving upward.
2. Stock is one of the strongest sectors for today and for the past 5 days.
3. An upward trend is established for a minimum of 20 days. I use the ADX to filter to the strongest of the strong.
4. The stock needs to make at least a 1 day and no more than 5 day pullback.
5. The final filter is current price is greater than prior day's high.

This generates a watch list that updates every two minutes. When flagged, I do a quick review of the chart and if acceptable, pull the trigger. Initially I have a tight stop. As the trade improves, I trail with a slightly increasing stop until I get to what I feel is a resistance level. I then tighten the stop and leave alone until stopped out.

Just something to consider.

Bill

Denarii said...

Thanks for the comment Bill. My method is always a work in progess and I am always looking for methods to refine it. By the way, what scanning software do you use?

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff,

I'm a believer in the KISS (keep it simple) method. To that end I keep everything cheap and simple. The scanning software is built into Schwab's StreetSmart Pro package. Not as flexible as many others but does a fine job for what I do. I previously used MetaStock but find I did not need quite the horsepower offered by it.

Bill