Marketgeometry

Monday, January 19, 2009

2008 Yearly Numbers

My 2009 numbers:
-
Wins: 725 Losses: 451
Avg Win: 37.70 Avg Loss: -46.59
Gross Trading: 6,322.32
Commissions: -5778
Net Trading: 544.07
Biggest Win: 626.00 Biggest Loss: -546.00
Data Fees: -1,297
Interest: 1,734
Account Net: 981.21

The bottom line of above is I made my broker happy. I was trying to figure out what all my monthly and yearly numbers mean to me. I know when I started this 3 years ago I only shorted a stock of two in my whole trading life. I had never traded currencies before and it had been over 20 years since I had traded stock indexes.
-
When in 2006 I decided to give this a try because my investing results sucked. I thought the way to make money was day trading. That year, my trading was producing swings of up to +/-7% in my account daily. After seeing how that could kill an account, my goal was lower those swings by a great deal. I did. In 2007, those swings became about +/-1.5% but I did not stop there. In 2009, the swings now are under 1% and most days under 0.2%. Now I have the other problem. I have gone from being way too wild to way too conservative and I need to correct that.
-
I feel I have learned a lot about trading over those 3 years. How to try to go against the idiots. How the open and close are different from the rest of the day. How certain stock groups of stocks trade. How to short stocks. How it is better to buy strength and short weakness.
-
I do not understand why I have become such a chicken to take the necessary risks to be successful. I see it in other parts of my life too. For the first time in my life, I am not struggling with money other than all that has been lost in 401ks and IRAs yet it is even harder for me to take chances. I can only guess it is seeing so many friends losing life savings in stocks or real estate or careers or just the feeling that the bull market in so many things is over and life is going to be a lot harder than it has been.
-
I feel I have a good eye for charts. I need to use the "Blink" method more often. I got to teach my brain to trust my eye and my gut and start flying this year.

No comments: