Marketgeometry

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Morning Thoughts - a 9/11 post

It is weird how some days are burnt into your memories. I was beginning to build a large swing position in the QQQQ's at the time, trying to pick a bottom. I had also started buying RFMD. I went to work that morning and got in a little late - about 8:45. I checked the markets and trying to fish for some more RFMD when I noticed the volume patterns of a lot of stocks were really thin.
-
My wife called and said one of the WTC buildings was on fire. I told her - stick a tape in the VCR and starting taping any channel. She pick NBC but it went died minutes later so she had the smarts to switch it to CNBC. I have an 8 hour tape of the day that I have watched so many times.
-
The wife called again and said she was coming in. Minutes later someone yell in the hallway - "Second Building was been hit". "WTF?". I spent the next 6 hours with a couple of office mates listening to a very old radio. I felt it was a scene from the 40's where we were listening to the BBC and the air raids on London.
-
I did not lose anyone that but my daughter was in Italy at school - a junior in high school. After a day she was freaking because she knew I liked to blow off a work day, go to NYC, sit and eat Krispy Kreme donuts and read in the court yard between the WTC buildings. What happened if dad was just stupid enough to pick today to do that? She finally was able to call a day later.
-
I left work early and decided I had to go work out. The wife came along. We were on tread mills when building 7 came down. It was the first time at the club, the sound of the TVs were on instead of music. Everybody froze.
-
It took me nearly 6 weeks to track everyone down everyone I knew to make sure no one was missing. My office mate had lost two friends. He had no time to do his normal routine - leaving each day - to go home and do his afternoon prayers. I stirred a lot of mix emotions being in a small office while a Muslim was doing his afternoon prayers after such an event but he said over and over - "This is so wrong. My God would never approve of such an act and the people who did this will rot in hell." One day I just sat there with him - one Christian and one Muslim - both crying over the lives that were lost.
-
Peace